It was recently , when one of my friend from a completely Non-IT background told me about his responsibilities and asked me what responsibilities do the software engineers have ?
Well , Software Engineers do have a lot of responsibilities and here are few of them which i could recall myself when that discussion arised .
- May be there are lots of testers around the team , the software developers should always test his code before going to the testers …
- Responsibility of Logging errors , messages on errors etc.
- Responsibility that the code is placed in the VSS or server and labelled as necessary
- Responsibility of sometimes recommending the right solution for the client to solve a problem .
- Responsibillity to learning things that are related to the domain of the project and not just programming …
- Update the management about the tasks , status and problems if any that arises …
- Responsibility to protect the privacy of the client’s data if any .
- Responsibility to update his/her skill via self learning most times.
- Working with people even though you dont like them .
- Not but least programming and making your code maintainable …
These are just few points that could remember when writing this post .
Are there any other responsibilities that you see misisng here ?